Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Harry Chapin Kissed Me...

...and it really pissed off my then-boyfriend-now-ex-husband, Steve.

This is a picture of me with Harry right before he kissed me...smack on the mouth.




I was fourteen when I discovered Harry Chapin's music. He told stories with his songs and that was a relief to the glut of pop music of the late seventies and early eighties that was forced upon me by the local radio stations. Most people were listening to watered down formulaic music, but I was making 8 track recordings of my Harry Chapin, Drum Corps, and Classical music albums and blasting them from the Oldsmobile station wagon I drove. I was and still am a music geek.



Harry died on July 16, 1981. The world is a sadder place without him. I often think that had he lived, maybe a lot of world problems would be closer to being solved. At the time of his death, he was already one of the most generous, kind, and loving souls on the planet and had given so much of himself and his money to World Hunger Year. WHY is an amazing organization that helps feed  people all over the world.

http://www.yhunger.org


Here's what Harry had to say about world hunger:

Harry Talks about hunger

If you're not familiar with Harry Chapin's music (besides Cat's in the Cradle) listen to just a bit of it. You'll find the genius I found all those years ago. I'm glad Harry Chapin kissed me.

1 comment:

Cerrillos Sandy said...

Great post! I didn't know that you were still posting on your blog. You're SUCH a good writer and should post regularly. By the way, today I've been reading articles about blogging and found that you should ALWAYS reply to posts that others make on your blog. Just good manners, so they say. I'd love for you to read my blog occasionally!